Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: JBL Control 1 summertime project surround array and more!

Just took this,give it to u as a reward
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by northwood View Post

Just took this,give it to u as a reward

Long, you ole bugger how been, haven’t seen you around here in a few months, I see you still take the pictures and yes, I like oriental girls they are drop dead sexy.

JBL 4645

Smile Modest output from the surrounds with a few tweaks.

I recently placed the two additional JBL control 5 at the rear as pictured here. The differences it makes but there only receiving the low bass. What I did was, I placed a Y lead plug connector on the output of the Pioneer VSP-200 that is presently running the centre back surrounds height surrounds while the pre-outputs are being feed to the Marantz 1030 for the sidewall surrounds.

The low pass output is being divided in two ways one output drives the Marantz 1050 which powers the two JBL control 5 at the back corners. The other lead goes to the audio mixer which is then feed to the Eltax A-12 R to take the low end down further.

The two are perfectly seamless and work very well with True Lies dts laserdisc where the terrorist jumps onto the back of a Harrier-Jet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Custom array was the word I was looking for last night the only disconcerting thing is the colour of the JBL Control 1 as they look a bit out of place, but the performance with this afternoons trail a loader levels did wonders within the technical restraints went even louder yet keeping the harshness in the box.

“But you have to ask me nicely.”
    Col. Nathan R. Jessep A Few Good Men (1992)

The stunning clarity and brut force of the dialogue mix on this film was crystal clear if not a little too realistic at times in terms of loudness and depth that was partly felt. Thou this is an old film by now some 15 years, (1992) it still holds up very well on region 2 DVD.

With peaks reaching close to around 90dbc during the last few moments of the court trial case where “Col. Nathan R. Jessep” played brilliantly by (Jack Nicholson) explodes in a rage of fury at “Lt. Daniel Kaffee” played by (Tom Cruise) where you could even hear a pin drop when everything drops to utter silence in the court room.

This is the appearance as it is now and was last night, what possessed me to do this I have no idea but it does sound far better than a few hours before I set-up like this and thou it was improved over the original passive crossover network. I’m extremely pleased to push the (loudspeaker management system) further JBL Control 5 LF 50Hz to 260Hz JBL Control 1 upper mid bass and HF from 277Hz to 20kHz.

I’ve noticed the differences or the control with the phase settings and polarity as well as delay settings seem more open and spacious. To take this one more step further would require another DCX2496. Well I’ve done a few nail sketch drawings to figure out how this would all rack up together as well as thinking beyond to see what ways or how I can improve with smaller loudspeakers in a small room with only a one extremely large one and one moderate size one.

I also gave the laserdisc a spin after the gripping conclusion between (Nicholson and Cruise) the sound pressures seamed almost transparent except the laserdisc has the edge on the audio PCM and thou the clarity in image is slightly weaker it was still very entertaining.

JBL 4645
    Just picked up The Sentinel and 16 Blocks each for £7.00 that’s ASDA price! I saw the films several months back on rental and rather enjoyed the Dolby film mix so I’ll try them out later on the new active JBL three-way three-screen matching system to see how they perform second time around.

00Robin
    What about Farscape? Are any of ya's Scaper's there? Farscape on the Big Daddy's sound real nice...REAL nice.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Robin View Post
    What about Farscape? Are any of ya's Scaper's there? Farscape on the Big Daddy's sound real nice...REAL nice.
    Err looks like I need the (universal translator) to decode that one? Can you please translate that, I don’t talk rap.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Err looks like I need the (universal translator) to decode that one?
    Can you please translate that, ...

Gak, not that tired old trible-ator - nah!
    Farscape is about John Crichton, a great 'merican astronaut who got sucked through a wormhole and found himself on Moya, a giant, living ship.
    Twas a GREAT series from a couple years back ... very innovative stuff - imaginative, not like the squeaky clean galaxies of the Kirk-unit or Janeway's crowd.
    That trek stuff is just so ... sixties ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Gak, not that tired old trible-ator - nah!
    Farscape is about John Crichton, a great 'merican astronaut who got sucked through a wormhole and found himself on Moya, a giant, living ship.
    Twas a GREAT series from a couple years back ... very innovative stuff - imaginative, not like the squeaky clean galaxies of the Kirk-unit or Janeway's crowd.
    That trek stuff is just so ... sixties ...
    What! Huh! Boo! Hiss!

Okay so looks like I missed another science fiction TV show from a few years back then. Looks like it’s only done a few seasons like the original “STAR TREK” I guess that would make a come back one day soon in the future.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187636/

JBL 4645

Thumbs up "LAYER CAKE" region 2 DVD at this JBL Home Cinema

Rented a rather good film this evening called “Layer Cake” starring (Daniel Craig) and a good line of British actors in a rather violent gangster capper its full of twists and lots of double crossing.

The sound mix was more up front with clear dialogue reproduction a little ADR heavy with (Daniel Craig’s) narration that opens the film with some funny lines some a little too strong to mention here. Occasional dialogue panning doors opening and closing deep LFE.1 that thumps out in the night club sequence or when “Morty” goes nuts in the “Regency café” was shocking yet funny at the same time. All the hard hitting punches smacking and kicking was happing right in my face without any strenuous distortion.

Surrounds where playing back with centre back but was a little soft even thou the surrounds where boosted slightly even after I did a pink noise check before playing the film.

JBL 4645

Smile "Under Siege" a JBL THX late night showing

Well I couldn’t resist in running a very late night JBL THX showing of “Under Siege” (1992) I’m still impressed with the Dolby stereo 5.1, mix knocked my soaks off.

Split-surrounds use was played back with centre back surround and performed magical plenty of side surround usage with atmosphere sounds and directional voice sounds over intercoms practically when (Gary Busey) character “Cmdr. Krill” walks though the corridors there’s a panned sound slightly on the right front and alongside the right sidewall surrounds.

I made a few audio compensations via lowering the LCR while boosting the LF in LCR and boosting the HF in the centre channel kept the action playing while maintaining clear dialogue intelligibility, Foley with hand to hand combat was handled with comfortable ease as “Casey Ryback” played by (Steven Seagal) disposes each bad guy with perverted use of methods whether it be, explosives or cooking knifes.

LFE.1 supported by the JBL 4645 played without overwhelming nor, bringing too much attention to itself was impacting during the helicopter explosion.

JBL 4645
    Just brought a few films for later on tonight, having heard the conventional Dolby stereo 4:2:4 mix of “Bram stoker's Dracula” (1992) on laserdisc it would be great to hear the difference between two. Also “Dante’s Peak” (1997) having originally owned the THX laserdisc once and the first edition region 2 DVD which I still have this edition first appeared on the (THX laserdisc signature collection) its also accompanied with dts film mix I’ll see later on which one has the edge, I need a little kip first.

JBL 4645
    Just ordered though (Digital Village) a calibration microphone Behringer ECM8000 along with a 6 metre cable XLR, should be with me in the morning so I can use this to (auto celibate) the time arrival distances short long and polarity settings with the DCX2496.

£44.00 pounds isn’t too bad for price.

JBL 4645

Fixing the Technics SH-8058

After delaying re-soldering a possible dry-joint on the (Technics SH-8058) and so, early this morning with the soldering iron nearby me ready to attack a little probable dry joint on one of the input terminals. I unscrewed all the side screws and screws that supported the PCB (printed circuit board) flipped the PCB over and looked it over with a magnifying glass, looking for hairline fractures moving the circuit pin connector with my finger to see it moved.

Well there was one pin that I was a little uncertain about so I decided to go ahead and warm up the soldering iron and fix the elusive humming problem that it was inducing.

It turned out to be a lucky success after I put the unit back together that’s all. I then used it for a screen bass left and right enchantment that outputs from the DCX2496 LF as well as working as monitor to see what’s happening at the bass screen channel low end.

The EQ is very broad in terms of full frequency spectrum, but seeing I have the screen bass on left centre and right channel’s set at 50Hz to 499Hz with a mixture of (Linkwitz-Riley and Besselworth) and where’s the (Technics SH-8058) barograph display function is from (63Hz 160Hz 400Hz 1KHz 2.5KHz 6.3KHz 16KHz) it’s a not a bad little EQ, soon to be replaced with matching 1/3 octave EQ.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JBL 4645
    Well it finally turned up this morning, very pleased. I’ll do a thorough check out later in the day in the mean time I’m popping off to Winton high street.

Thread Information