Thread: Soundcraftsmen purchase help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    The last S800 I bought from earlier in this thread is the only non-integrated amp I've ever purchased, but this matching S800 has now come up 3 times, reduced in price from 195, to 150, now to 135

how leary should one be of a DJ used amp like this one, as clearly indicated by the traveling enclosure?

I'd love to have another identical S800 to finally two amp bi-wire my L7's, but don't know how much relative wear goes into "commerically used" Soundcraftsmen
    I've gotten some Soundcraftsmen shoeboxes that looked like they lived a tough life, but only one of them ever disappointed me. I should have checked it as soon as I got it, but it was a reserve amp for a future project, and by the time I checked it out I'd already had it for two months. One channel worked; one didn't.

I gave it to my son when he visited from Ohio last year. He wrapped duct tape around it like a handle and carried it on board the plane home. He's been using the good channel to run his subwoofer for over a year.

It's always a gamble, but five out of the six amps that I bought worked fine and were within spec, regardless of appearance.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I've gotten some Soundcraftsmen shoeboxes that looked like they lived a tough life, but only one of them ever disappointed me. I should have checked it as soon as I got it, but it was a reserve amp for a future project, and by the time I checked it out I'd already had it for two months. One channel worked; one didn't.

I gave it to my son when he visited from Ohio last year. He wrapped duct tape around it like a handle and carried it on board the plane home. He's been using the good channel to run his subwoofer for over a year.

It's always a gamble, but five out of the six amps that I bought worked fine and were within spec, regardless of appearance.

thanks, how do you do the hookup a)one amp per speaker b)one amp for the HF/MFs, other for LFs ??

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    thanks, how do you do the hookup a)one amp per speaker b)one amp for the HF/MFs, other for LFs ??
    I've tried it both ways. If you place the amps near the speakers, then one channel for HF and one channel for LF from the same amp. If the amps are in a central location, which is more typical I guess, then it's convenient to use one for HF to both channels and another for LF to both channels. JBL even suggests the possibility of one amp chosen for its LF power and another for its HF characteristics.

When using identical amps, I don't think it makes much difference.
    Out.

Thread Information